2019 Hyperprism Recording Project
Call for Clarinet Duets with or without Electronics
Hyperprism Music, LLC is excited to announce our first ever call for scores! As an organization dedicated to expanding the repertoire for wind instruments, our first project will be for works for clarinet duet with or without electronic accompaniment. Our goal is to produce a complete album of original works for clarinet duo written by a diverse group of contemporary composers and present this album to the greater music community through a variety of national and international venues. Five to eight composers will be selected from submitted works.
Benefits to Selected Composers
- Studio-quality, edited and mastered recording made by established professional performers
- HD multi-camera video of performances distributed through YouTube and provided as high resolution files
- Distribution of recordings through all major sources such as iTunes, Spotify, Google, and Amazon.
- Presentation of some or all compositions at major organization conferences such as the International Clarinet Association and the College Music Society.
- Offer of publication through Hyperprism Music Press (ASCAP). Composers earn 55% of all sales and retain all performance royalties.
- Hyperprism Music will exhibit at the 2020 International Clarinet Fest and will sell copies of both the recordings and any works published by Hyperprism Music Press (or self-published works through arrangement).
Costs and Requirements for Submissions
- Application Fee - $5 (please use the PayPal link below), all application proceeds are used directly to compensate performers and score evaluation jury. Members of Hyperprism Music, LLC will receive no compensation from application fees.
- Production fee for selected composers ONLY - $250: This fee will cover production and distribution costs of the recordings, registration and travel expenses to the 2020 International Clarinet Fest, and travel/associated expenses for performers. Members of Hyperprism Music, LLC will receive no compensation from production fees.
- All submitted compositions must be for one of the following instrumentations either with or without electronic accompaniment:
- Two Soprano Clarinets (in B-flat or A)
- Two Bass Clarinets
- One Soprano Clarinet and One Bass Clarinet
- One Soprano Clarinet and One Sopranino Clarinet (in E-flat)
- All works must be less than ten minutes in duration
- Composers must provide score and parts (if necessary) free of charge to Hyperprism Music
- Works involving electronics must be for two-channel stereo and may be either for fixed media or with live electronic effects
- The following software applications are available: Max/MSP, Ableton Live, Super Collider, and Logic Pro X. Works requiring other software will not be considered.
- Recordings and scores must be submitted as mp3 and PDF files respectively using the form below.
Ongoing Call for Scores
- The Ongoing Call for Scores is available for Chamber Ensembles comprised of one to ten musicians and Electro-Acoustic Ensembles consisting of zero to two musicians. (Contact us to inquire about available instrumentation and technical requirements.)
- Composers may submit one to three scores for consideration.
- Selected scores will be performed by professional musicians and / or technical specialists after 3 rehearsals.
- Audio and video recordings of the live performance will be provided to the selected composers with unlimited rights.
- Hyperprism Music will retain the right to use these recordings for promotional purposes.
- The selected composers will be called to the stage to invited to the stage to speak about their work and will be presented with a certificate recognizing their achievement.
- Requirements for Submission and the Submission Form can be found below.
Call for Scores Submission Form
Requirements for Submissions:
- All submissions must be an original compositions by the composer submitting the work.
- Composers may submit up to two works for the Annual Call for Scores and up to three works for the Ongoing Call for Scores.
- All entries must be submitted electronically via the submission form below. Each work must be submitted separately.
- All compositions submitted should be between 3 and 15 minutes in duration.
- Hard copies or PDF files of the parts must be provided no later than April 1 for the Annual Call for Scores and 3 months before the final concert for Ongoing Call for Scores, as indicated in the confirmation email.
- Submissions must include a PDF of the complete score and an mp3 recording. No other file formats will be accepted.
- Live or studio recordings are preferable, although MIDI realizations in mp3 format are acceptable.
- Instrumentation - Contact us for other requests. Selection fee scales with the number of musicians.
- Large Ensembles - Small Orchestra or Wind Ensemble (alternates years, contact us for more information)
- Chamber Ensemble - One to nine performers utilizing the following instruments:
- Flute (doubling piccolo or alto flute)
- 1 or 2 Clarinets in B-flat or A
- 1 or 2 Bassoons
- 1 or 2 Trumpets (C, B-flat, piccolo, cornet, or flügelhorn possible)
- 1 or 2 Trombones (Tenor or Bass)
- 1 or 2 Percussion
- Electro-Acoustic - Purely electronic submissions are welcome, in addition to electro-acoustic ensembles with one to two musicians. Contact us to discuss the technical details of the electronic component and to inquire about other instrumentations.
- Non-Refundable Application Fee: $20
- Upon selection, composers will be expected to pay the Selection Fee of $1000 for the Annual Call for Scores for either the Small Orchestra or Wind Ensemble and $500 for zero to one musician (and scaled with the number musicians) for the Ongoing Call for Scores for either the Chamber Ensemble or Electro-Acoustic Ensemble.